Tuesday, October 16, 2012

An Interview with Author Katrina Butler Hill of When the well runs dry

 
 
How did you start out your writing career?
I found my love for creating a new world with words as a teenager. My refuge was jotting down poems to express my sorrows, my worries and my regrets. I had no intentions to become an author, especially a published one.
What did you learn while writing this book?
I learned that I had a power within to heal hidden hurts, expose unrealized pain and evoke happiness where sadness had taken control.
What did you hope to accomplish with this book?
I wrote When the Well Runs Dry with the hope that women would take responsibility when it comes to being truthful as to why they do or do not have happiness in their lives. We all have a “well” and from time to time they are bound to go dry. The question we must ask ourselves is will it ever be filled again and if so, how? Too often we point the finger at every one else rather than taking the blame that’s due us. Once we are able to stand behind our faults we will be able to get over the hump and live the life we truly deserve and desire.
What came first with this story, the characters or the plot? Why? I wrote this story with no plot in mind. The characters came about as I wrote each word.
What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?
As a self-published author I never imagined how hard it would be to get the word out about my books. Being a trainer in my hometown I have a lot of support. My dilemma has been getting my work outside of my city. I have a publicist now, Dream Relations/Dawn M. Hardy, so things are better but it is still a process. The cost to attain and maintain publicity along with paying for editing, printing, etc. is tough on a struggling writer so I advise anyone who is interested in writing a book to understand every facet that comes along with it.
What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?
The aspect that I love the best is when people contact me to say my words blessed them and that after reading my book they finally have the answers they have been praying for. The aspect I hate the most is remembering to keep the continuity of the book flowing correctly. It’s not good to have a character 25 years old in the first chapter of the book then have the same character 17 years old when the book ends.
How do you conquer writers block?
I usually do all of my writing late at night when I have no distractions. Once I start hitting the keys my words begin to flow.
What books are on your to read list?
Carl Weber - The Family Business
Has having a writing career always been your dream?
No, it was a mistake, but one that I have fallen in love with and happy to have.
Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?
Do all of your homework before you start the process. Speak with other seasoned authors for advice to avoid pitfalls.
Do not expect to sell 1 million books in your first week, be realistic. Set goals, make plans and follow through!
What is your writing process? How do you feed your writing muse?
I am a personal trainer and have been happily married for 10 years. I pull from conversations and relations to feed my writing muse.
Within the next five years what stage do you expect to be in your career?
In the next five years I will be writing stage plays. I look forward to making my books into movies soon.
When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?
I love to exercise, shop and above all spend time with my husband.
What do you do to interact with your readers?
I use Facebook, twitter and book events.
Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?
In recent news social media indulgers everywhere were infuriated and irritated after finding out about the deception involving Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart. Readers of my novels are finding the same irritations. While pounding the keys on my MacBook into the late hours of the night I tackle issues of step-parenting, teenage pregnancies, affairs and homosexuality;
I am so excited to have found an unusual audience for my novels------men. Generally speaking men don’t usually read novels so I was more than pleased to hear feedback from so many of them who stated they enjoyed reading my work. They loved the story line and said it was easy to follow.
Now, I personally think adding spicy scenes and a splash of erotica helped to keep their attention long enough to discover the lesson hidden in the passage.
My male readers have expressed their appreciation for the character Michael. They say, “He is a good man who supports his wife and step daughters.” Although Geena is blessed to have the man of her dreams at her side, from reading the novels, it is revealed that she has had an extra-marital affair. Society always highlights the wrong doings of men. “I intentionally added a twist since media loves to point the finger at the man whenever a relationship fails, leaving some to believe that all relationships end due to the lack of faith and control of the man. My intentions were to force women to stand up and finally say, “I make mistakes too.”
After reading my novels I hope that we will take responsibility for our choices and refrain from holding others responsible for our lack…… of a love filled life. I am a twice, self-published fiction author seeking to expose the true realities of relationships. I am a writer who is not afraid to discuss the topics that many find to be taboo. I am the co-founder of KBH Fitness with my husband Coach Brad Hill.
How can readers get in contact with you? (Mail, email, website)
I invite readers to follow me on Facebook (Author Katrina Butler Hill), Twitter @KBHWritesItRaw, Kbhauthor@gmail.com and www.kbhbooks.com

Meet the Author

 
Katrina Butler Hill is a fresh new author with more than 20 years of writing experience. Over the years she has found that a piece of paper and a few words can be powerful, uplifting and exhilarating. As a business continuity analyst, an educator and personal trainer she is empowered by the many intriguing life stories that have enlightened her about a world that she was unaware of, but glad to know that exists. The characters in her books are all fictional but they have a voice that will speak volumes to any audience.
Rating 5 stars


Every so often an author comes into the literary community that not only understands their audience but life as well. Katrina Hill is a welcomed voice in a world full of over sexed characters, same ole love story, and thug life. To find a book that deals with the real issues we face in our daily lives and turn it into a good fiction read, is a talent that can’t be overlooked . I found the first couple of pages astonishing. Such an authentic literal review of what women deal with daily. It’s refreshing and beautiful how Katrina allows the reader to go deeper into the psyche of who a woman really is and the trials and tribulations we go through daily. Its quite stimulating to meet a character that is not only relatable but authentic and human. When the well runs dry is a beautifully written depiction of one woman journey to have it all and the things we sacrifice to have it. Katrina Butler Hill has done a magnificent job depicting the trials and tribulations not only women endure, but that men endure as well. I look forward to reading more from this author and you should too.