Monday, October 22, 2012

An Interview with Author Synithia Williams of You can't plan love

 


How did you start out your writing career?

I’ve always been a writer, but it wasn’t until 2010 that I took writing seriously and set a goal to finish a novel by the end of the year. Once I did that, I focused on learning as much as I could about writing, participated in lots of writing webinars/workshops and researched publishing. I’m still learning and suspect I will be for the rest of my life.

What did you learn while writing this book?

That I can accomplish anything I set my mind to do. I worked on this book sporadically for years. But when I decided finishing a book was what I wanted, I buckled down and did it.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I hope that people enjoy my book and the story. I wanted relatable characters and an interesting storyline.

What came first with this story, the characters or the plot? Why?

The plot always comes first for me. I have a “what if” moment and begin writing. I flesh out the characters as I go along and during revisions.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

The amount of support that published authors give to us newbies surprised me. Thus far, I’ve been lucky to meet people who’ve been willing to offer advice along the way.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love creating a new character and getting into the world of that character. I hate the actual process of writing. It’s not as easy as people think, and I have to force myself to start. But, once I get going it’s hard to stop.

How do you conquer writers block?

Depends on what’s causing the block. If it’s because I’m lazy then I make myself write. If I’m lost about where to take the story I brainstorm ideas—everything from the mundane to the crazy—and see which one calls to me. If push comes to shove I’ll work on another story.

What books are on your to read list?

I was recently introduced to the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series by J.R. Ward. I read the first and loved it. I will not be satisfied until I’ve read the rest.

Has having a writing career always been your dream?

It has, but I never thought I’d achieve it. It’s still surreal that I have.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do: learn everything you can about writing and publishing. There’s too much information for an aspiring writer to be ignorant. Don’t: let the success of other’s deflate your confidence.

What is your writing process?

I try to write every night after my boys go to bed. This is around 9:00 p.m. Once I force myself to get to work I write until 10:30 or 11. On weekends I write when I get a moment. If I have an idea for a story I will try to outline it, but usually end up straying far from the outline.

How do you feed your writing muse?

My muse is always eating! Random things spark my creativity. I try to read articles on love and romance just to see what others are saying about the topic.

Within the next five years what stage do you expect to be in your career?

I expect to have multiple books published, still with e-publishers, and have enough of a following to try self publishing.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Very cliché answer alert: reading (of course), spending time with my family and watching television.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I participate in a few Facebook book clubs, mainly because I like the discussion and learning about new reads. I’m also very chatty on Twitter and try to respond to most comments on my blog.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

Sure! Worth the Wait is due January 7, 2013 (again from Crimson Romance) and features Jared Patterson who readers would have met in my first novel, You Can’t Plan Love. The premise is simple: When a virgin frustrated by her nonexistent dating life, asks a playboy for a one-night stand, can they really ignore their attraction after the affair?

How can readers get in contact with you?

Rating 5 stars
Magical. Funny. Charming. Smart. Romantic. These are only a few words to describe You can't plan love. From beginning to end I could not put this book down. The characters were live and vibrant from the beginning. I found myself cheering and hoping that the main character find the true love she so rightfully deserves. Synithia delivers a timeless tale of planning our busy lives while trying to squeeze love and all its trimmings inside of it. If only love was as simple as planning a trip to the grocery store.While the plot simmered with quick life tips and love pointers for the single sister Synithia delivers a novel that will surely warm your heart. Each page reads like a true life episode or an enduring love story from a girlfriend. I enjoyed the ups and down of this novel and particulary the tryst of finding true authentic love. So if you're in the mood for a sophiscated romantic comedic novel that will not only pull on your heart but also make you think....than you've found all the right ingriedents in You can't plan love.