Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Virtual Book Tour Presents An Interview with Author Cassietta Jeffeson of Be Still & Know A Novel

Be Still & Know, A Novel
Bitterness and deception always manage to find their way to the surface. Be Still & Know is a novel about finding love after devastating heartbreak and the challenges of learning to trust again.

Kai Bennett never believed that she was worthy of love. Too many years of being mistreated left her bitter and uncertain of her own self-worth. Finding validation in men, money, and trinkets, she has little use for a man becoming a permanent fixture in her life. That was until she met Alvin. What starts as a game of cat and mouse quickly develops into something Kai is unsure she is ready to handle.

Alvin Reigns discovered long ago that in love, there were no happy endings. He had fallen in love once, and vowed to never again allow any woman that much control over his heart. Kai Bennett was an unexpected surprise who made him want to believe in the possibility of a happy ending. After many years of self-preservation, Alvin is unsure if he should trust Kai with his heart. How will Alvin and Kai learn to trust and create their own happy ending?


Picture

 
About The Author

Cassietta Jefferson is a contemporary Christian author, publisher, and blogger. She is the newest Editor in Chief for Journey, the For My Sister Friends newsletter, and the founder of Virtuous Ink Publishing. She has a passion for reading and writing, and seeks to provide her readers with the best in contemporary Christian literature. Cassietta is currently preparing for the release of a collection of short stories as well as the much anticipated follow up to her first novel.

 

The Interview

How did you start out your writing career?

 I started as an avid reader, but as I grew older, I wanted to read something different. I figured that if I wanted to read something different than others must also. I started writing what I wanted to read. I allowed close friends to read what I had written and they enjoyed it so I continued.

What did you learn while writing this book?

 That I was much stronger than I appeared. This entire process has been years in the making. It’s been full of rejection and disappointment. I learned that “tenacious” is part of my character.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

 It was my hope that readers would come to understand that they are not the product of their past mistakes. You don’t have to remain stuck in the past reliving the mistakes you made over and over again.

What came first with this story, the characters or the plot? Why?

 The characters came first. I typically create the character first and write the story or the plot around them. I spend some time getting to know them so when it’s time to develop the story, I don’t have to figure out how the characters will react. It may sound odd, but by the time the story comes along, I know my characters well enough to know how they will react to a certain situation.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

 The reader response. It’s always fun when the reader connects with the characters or the story as much as you have.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

 I love developing characters. I always feel as though I’m getting to know a new friend. I don’t know that there’s an aspect that I hate. I enjoy editing and formatting. If I had to pick one, I would say marketing. There’s an art to it and I’m not really good at it.

How do you conquer writers block?

 I talk it out. There are a couple of people who I consider my sounding boards. They are there any time, day or night to discuss characters, plot, etc. until I can get past the block. If for some reason they’re not available to talk with me, I go for a walk and clear my head. I also read inspirational material, usually the bible, or listen to inspirational music.

What books are on your to read list?

I have a pretty lengthy list. The next couple is From Brokenness to Greatness by LaTersa Blakely and The Sanctuary by Paulette Harper Johnson. Also on my list is Stand by Me by Neta Jackson, and Harry Bentley’s Second Chance by Dave Jackson.

Has having a writing career always been your dream?

It was there but I never thought it was something I could realistically do. I always thought I should be an executive somewhere. It wasn’t until recently that I considered writing and publishing could be an attainable goal.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do spend time writing daily; it doesn’t matter if it’s 5 lines or 50 lines, as long as you write and move your project forward. Don’t ever give up! It’s going to get hard and there will definitely be challenges, but don’t give up.

What is your writing process? How do you feed your writing muse?

I usually develop the character then write the story with the character in mind. I never know how a book is going to end until I get there. I feed my muse by going with my natural desire and ability to write. For instance, I tend to want to write late at night into the wee hours of the morning, so I don’t fight that. If it’s not coming to me at noon, I don’t force it. I stop and do something else and come back to it.

Within the next five years what stage do you expect to be in your career?

In the next five years I hope to have completed The Reigns Family Series and I would like to be helping to develop other authors who are interested in this unique, contemporary Christian fiction genre.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I enjoy reading - I love escaping for a few hours between the covers of a book. I also enjoy movies, bowling, hiking, and spending time with my family.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

You know, I love Facebook, so I’m usually on my Facebook fan page asking and answering questions and just getting to know my readers. I’m also on twitter, and I can be found at my website.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

The next release is Hidden, which is the follow up to Be Still & Know. This is book 2 in the Reigns Family series. It’s the story of Marvin Reigns and it’s what happens when the love he thought he’d lost forever comes back to him. This is of course a love story, but there’s a bit of intrigue and mystery that I hope readers will enjoy.

 

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

My Facebook fan page is a great way to contact me. I can also be reached via email on my website or readers can find me on twitter.






Author Website



Trailer: 

Links to purchase the book


Review 5 stars

I loved this book and I'm in love with the author. From the beginning you embark on an emotional journey with a character that is truly authentic in every realm. Kai Bennett is a woman feeling unworthy of the love she so rightfully deserves. As she embarks on a journey of findinding validation and self worth in loving the men in her life. The writer forces the reader to closely evaluate our own lives and those around us. In many ways there are so many women just like Kai. Be Still and Know is a beautiful journey of discovering the love God has for us, within our soul mate, and within ourselves. Jefferson writes with a pose and clear voice that draws you in from the first page and never lets you go. I fell in love with Kai Bennett and trust me you will too. Jefferson is a refreshing voice in the Christian fiction genre and she deserves a standing ovation. Go get your copy now!!