Tuesday, March 19, 2013

One on One with Author Dishan Washington of The Preacher's Wifey

Product Details
 
 
 
How did you start out your writing career?
I've been writing since I was in the 5th grade. Before that, I was getting into trouble b/c I was writing on the walls of my bedroom. It drove my mother crazy. But, when I was 17 years old, I started writing and touring my stage plays. Several years later, a bad experience would drive me away from the play industry, and into the literary world. I self-published my first book in 2004 and have been writing books since then.
What did you learn while writing this book?
Both of my books have been loosely based on my life. More so Diary of a Mad First Lady, but The Preacher's Wifey has some of my personal testimony in it as well. I can't say that I learned anything but what did happen was healing in some areas took place.
What did you hope to accomplish with this book?
I hoped that when the reader turned the last page, particularly women, they would have a higher value of themselves, they'd make better decisions when it came to matters of the heart, and that at the end of the day they would find peace with themselves and not in the things that can be bought.
What came first with this story, the characters or the plot? Why?
The plot. I knew I wanted to write the story before I figured out who all of the characters would be. It was based on someone I knew and her story, and as I said before, tidbits of my own story is infused in it.
What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?
The amount of work you have to do as published author is equal to, if not more, than the work you have to do as a self-published author.
What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?
I hate starting. That first page is so intimidating. What I love the most is seeing the story come together and of course typing those two magical words, 'The End.'

How do you conquer writers block?
By reading other authors who I learn from and enjoy.
What books are on your to read list?
Way too many to name!
Has having a writing career always been your dream?
Absolutely.
Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?
Do support other authors. Don't get so comfortable in your gift or talent to write that you stop learning the craft of writing itself.
What is your writing process? How do you feed your writing muse?
I typically do an outline and write out my thoughts in my writing and vision tablet before I ever begin typing. I feed my writing muse by reading or either watching a good movie.
Within the next five years what stage do you expect to be in your career?
In five years, I plan and expect to be at the top of my career in both books, movies, and plays.
When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?
I love spending time with friends and family, going to the movies, fine dining, and going to the spa. And, of course, reading.
What do you do to interact with your readers?
I mainly engage my readers on social media and via email.
Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?
I am still trying to figure out what the 2014 book will be. The readers who've read The Preacher's Wifey are asking for a sequel. So, I'm toying with the possibilities of that.
How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)
www.DiShanWashington.com, Twitter: @iamDiShan Facebook: DiShan Washington
 
My Photo


DiShan Washington, was a third generation First Lady and native of Valley, AL. She became the youngest known First Lady at the age of 17, and with this feat came incredible challenges that led to bouts of depression, suicide attempts, and a plethora of other struggles that she openly shares. Currently, a best selling author, ghostwriter, nationally recognized playwright, CEO of Pure Publishing, an evangelist; she confidently and with grace maneuvers her way through each role with the skill of someone twice her age. Many know her as a diva with a love for fashion; but, Lady D is also a powerful preacher, prayer warrior, and motivational speaker. Having spoken on major platforms to women and men alike, her ability to be transparent often leaves her audiences wanting to hear more. Within her core lies her personal testimony of survival and endurance, and she ministers with power and conviction a message that leaves all who listen, a hope that they can too survive the odds

 

DiShan Washington
CEO, Pure Publishing

Website: http://www.purepublishingllc.com

Email: info@purepublishingllc.com
Twitter: @pure_publishing

Office: 404.487.8177
Toll Free/Fax: (888) 827-1225