Tuesday, June 18, 2013

An Intimate Conversation with Author Petra F. Bagnardi of A Veil Of Glass And Rain



View photo in message


View photo in message


Introduce yourself.

My name is Petra. I'm an author, a TV screenwriter and an indie-theater writer, actress and director. I'm partly Italian and partly Swiss. And I currently live in Rome. My favorite color is purple and I'm a wild pizza-eater.

Tell us about your latest project.

“A Veil of Glass and Rain” is the story of two childhood friends and their growing bond. Over the years, they discover that their relationship is something more profound and stronger than a mere friendship.

What did you learn while writing this book?

Well, I've learned that writing a novel requires a lot of time and dedication. And I've also learned about two amazing and interesting human beings, Eagan and Brina.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I wanted to write a story about friendship, about love, sacrifice, but also about happiness and about finding your place in the world.

How would you describe yourself as a writer?

While I'm working on a story I need to have fun. The moment I stop enjoying myself it means that there's something wrong with the plot and the characters, and that a lot of re-writing is needed. I'm very demanding and severe. I expect a lot from myself.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

Well, I'm a self-published author and, as such, what I'm discovering is that it's definitely a difficult path, but it is also full of gratifying moments.

What message do you want to convey to your readers?

After reading my book, I hope to leave within my readers a sense of contentment and joy.

How do you choose what to write about?

I don't choose! The ideas kind of pop up in my head while I'm reading a book or while I'm watching a movie.

What books are on your to read list?

There are books by Annabel Joseph, Alma Katsu, Carol Goodman, Shiloh Walker and more, many more...

Has having a writing career always been your dream?

Oh, yes! Since I was a kid.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do believe in your characters, and do not give up.

What is your writing process? How do you feed your writing muse?

I read a lot of books, I watch a lot of movies, I go to concerts, theater shows, and sometimes I go shopping! :)

Within the next five years what stage do you expect to be in your career?

I hope I'll have published/self-published at least five more books.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I love reading and watching films. And I like taking long walks.


What do you do to interact with your readers?

I'm a fairly new author, so the interaction with my readers is something I'm recently discovering and I really like it. I love it when readers post messages on my Facebook page or on my Goodreads page, telling me about how much they enjoyed reading my novel. I've also met a lot of of amazing bloggers. They write me emails telling me how much they loved “A Veil of Glass and Rain”.  They truly warm my heart.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next novel will tell the story of Jean and Margherita: orphans, photographers, adventurers and, of course, friends and more than friends.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)



And I'm also a Goodreads author: Petra F. Bagnardi.


A Veil of Glass and Rain, by Petra F. Bagnardi

The first time I saw Eagan, it was through a veil of rain.
The garden was dotted with small and big puddles. I jumped
around them, pretending they were black holes that could capture
me, if only I grazed their surface with the tips of my feet.
Eagan was carrying a deep-purple umbrella. I stared at him from
the edge of a huge puddle. He stood on the opposite side and for a
few seconds we considered each other. I noticed that his feet were too
close to the water, and I wanted to warn him about the danger of
black holes, but I felt shy. He was tall, like a giant. His smile was
gentle, and he smelled good.
He contemplated the murky puddle that separated us with a
serious expression, then he looked up at me. “I read somewhere that
if you jump into a puddle, the currents will carry you away to another
world.”
Suddenly the dark water became less frightening and more
interesting. “If I jump in and get lost in the other world, will you run
after me to bring me back?” I asked him.
He smiled. “Of course.”
When Brina is nine and Eagan is fourteen, they meet and become
friends. Over the years, their friendship deepens; their bond seems
unbreakable.
When Brina falls in love with Eagan, everything changes.
Set in the beautiful Rome, this is the sensual and romantic story
of two friends who become lovers.

Review 5 out of 5 stars

A poetic and engaging love story that breathes life into vivid and vibrant characters. Brina and Eagan have been best friends since she was nine, and he was fourteen. But as in a lot of cases things start to change between the best friends. Brina realizes that she has stronger feelings for him, and she doesn't want him to know about it. Bagnardi is a masterful storyteller that weaves a familiar love story in a different direction. Readers will fall deeply in love with each character and find them simply unforgettable. A Veil Of Glass And Rain is an charming and heart felt love story that will leave the reader feeling hopeful and optimistic about the prospect of love.