Tuesday, June 11, 2013

One on One with Author Jamila Gomez of Pleasures Of The Unknown

41ghCFiYeGL._AA160_.jpg




Introduce yourself.
My name is Jamila Gomez. I’m 31 from Lithonia, Ga. Born in Chicago, Ill. I am the youngest of three girls and the aunt of a 3-year-old niece and 1-year-old nephew. I am the author of seven books and I am a proofreader by profession.

Tell us about your latest project.
“Pleasures of the Unknown” is a collection of sixty-nine poems (I promise that was not on purpose) of mostly erotic poems with others regarding love and relationships and every day life. 

What did you learn while writing this book?
I learned that my imagination is more vivid and wild than I give it credit for. And that it is truly okay to express myself fully the way(s) I want to. Writing about some of the things I wrote about is actually quite fun and I am going to do more of it in the near future.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?
I wanted to prove to myself that I was capable of thinking outside of my box and explore a different topic. And I wanted to prove to my readers/friends/family that I am not as much of a good girl as they think.

How would you describe yourself as a writer?
My writing style is very simple and straightforward. I try not to get too fancy and overcomplicate things with big words that have little meaning. But I do write from the heart. My poetry is an extension of my diary. Some may be slightly embellished, but still true to who I am and what I have been through.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?
The impact I’ve had on other people. I hear almost every day that I’ve inspired someone to follow their dreams, regardless of what their dreams are. I am very thankful to be able to do that for people. It makes it all worth it.

What message do you want to convey to your readers?
I want my readers to know that whatever they set their minds to, they can accomplish. It can be hard and challenging, but the result makes it all worth it. 

How do you choose what to write about?
My inspiration comes from random things. I can hear a song and be inspired and go through something personal and write about it. Whatever it is, I just try to make sure that it evokes emotion in at least one person who reads it.

What books are on your to read list?
I love Deidra Green, so I need to do some catching up on her flash fiction books. Also “Jawbreakers” by Krystol Diggs. 

Has having a writing career always been your dream?
No. When I was younger, I wanted to be a counselor or social worker. I’d always liked to write, but did not envision a career for myself in it. When I published my first book (of poetry), the responses that I got inspired me to continue on. 

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?
Do: Write every day, even if it’s just journaling. Writing something each day will keep your skills sharp. Don’t: Give up.

What is your writing process? How do you feed your writing muse?
Music, music, music. I cannot write in complete silence. Music always fuels my creativity. But I do have to be in a room alone. I can jot general ideas down just about anywhere as long as pen and a piece of paper are handy, but I have to be alone in order to focus on what I am writing.

Within the next five years what stage do you expect to be in your career?
Within the next five years, I want to have a total of 15 books under my belt. Right now, I am at seven and I’ve slowed it down considerably with releasing new material. I don’t want to give too much too quickly. I would love to be on a bestsellers list or two…or more. Overall, I hope within that time, my writing just continues to grow and get better.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to travel, volunteer, spend time with friends, dine, and go to museums.

What do you do to interact with your readers?
I do my best to get to know my readers, who, for the most part, find me on social networking sites. I have email addresses and phone numbers. I am fairly close to a lot of my readers, excluding those to whom I was close before becoming a writer.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?
I don’t have a title for my next book of poetry, but here is a piece from it:
“Slow Dance”

I want to slow dance with you under the starlit stillness
Waltz beneath enchanted evening skies
The style of music matters naught
The melody resides within 
The beat drops from every thump of my heart
Let the words from our mouths provide the lyrics
Sing it together…or not
Silence suits the situation sweetly 
My deepest desire, right here, right now
Is one hand resting comfortably in yours
The other placed on your broad shoulder
Your arm around my waist
My head nestled on your chest
Under moonlit serenity
Exquisite enchantment
I just want to dance with you.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)
My email is jamilagomez2007@gmail.com. My website is www.jamilagomez.com. Readers can add me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jamila.e.gomez and follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/author_jamilag.


374774_10150926995690167_1886625550_n.jpg


Jamila Elise Gomez was born January 15, 1982 in Chicago, Illinois and is the youngest of three daughters born to Michael and Mary. Her family moved to St. Louis when Jamila was just three and lived there until she was six before moving to Lithonia, Ga, where she still lives. As a Spina bifida-born patient, Jamila has experienced quite a few challenges, enduring surgeries on her feet and back, as well as needing a shunt. Because of her physical limitations caused by Spina bifida, Jamila had to face difficult times in her social life, having to deal with verbal bullying from her fellow classmates. 
Jamila has always had an interest in writing, even from when she was in elementary school. She wrote her first story in 3rd grade and her first poem at age 17 as a means of dealing with her grandmother’s passing, which occurred just one day before her senior year of high school began. A few years after graduating, she realized her talents lie in her words as she made the decision to major in English and take poetry classes while enrolled at a junior college. Jamila decided finally to make her love for writing poetry a career move. In the summer of 2010, she began working as a freelance proofreader. Following in her father’s footsteps in authorship, her debut book of poetry, “Pure Confessions Volume l”, was released in July of 2011 and received rave reviews. In November of the same year, Jamila released “Birthday Girl”, a novella she originally had no plans to have published. Gaining confidence from her family and friends, she went on to release “Pure Confessions Volume II”, “Pure Confessions Deluxe Edition”, and “My Sheree Amore”. Jamila also participated in a poetic anthology called “The Sisters’ Fight: A Poetic Anthology of Awareness” in 2012. By profession, Jamila is a copyeditor and proofreader, freelance and for companies. She is also pursuing her Bachelor’s in English and University of Phoenix Online and is Chairwoman of SUT Page Turners. Jamila plans to own her own editing/proofreading company by 2013’s end.



Review 5 out of 5 stars
 
The beauty of poetry is best described as fluid motion depicted best on a page. However, when you add eroticism one senses and mind become heightened at another level. Gomez writes with such poise and intensity that leaves the mind desiring more verbal love. I found Pleasures of the Unknown to be a delicate yet enticing collection of erotic poems that will not only leave you breathless but wanting more. Gomez pacts a mean punch from beginning to end leaving the door wide open for round two. If you enjoy poetry and erotica at its best than you're in for a real treat.