Monday, July 15, 2013

The Best Advice I Never Received

I `ve been writing for the past eight years and I love it. I `ve grown personally and professionally. Writing is my passion and that fires keeps growing inside of me. I`ve come a long way from my very page of a short story. I was full of ambition, bad grammar, and caffeine. I had no clue about the industry. I wrote to my hearts content, dreamed that agents would be knocking down my door, and the big checks would follow.

After none of that happened I sheveled my novels, deleted a few stories, and brainstormed. I went to book signings, the local library, and even made friends on social media. I wanted answers and solutions to breaking into the industry, getting that book deal, and thousands of readers. I wanted that life, not my own. All the authors said the same thing, go to school and keep writing.

While I appreciated their advice I didn`t exactly follow it. I wanted the easy way without the hard work. After many years of hitting the same wall I finally caught a clue. Here`s some of the best advice I never received:

1. Respect the craft- just because you can put words on a paper doesn`t make it a novel. Do your research. Learn the mechanics of developing a character, creating conflict and suspense, and etc.

2. Trust your voice-when I first started writing I wrote about sex. Why? Because I wanted to be the next Zane. Who doesn`t? As I got older and learning more about myself I realized I wasn`t being true to my own voice. I didn`t trust my talent enough so I followed a trend. My friends loved it, but I hated it. At the end of the day I want to present my best work possible and you should too.

3. Read- to write is to read and to read is to write. True statement. In order to grow as a writer you have to read. Read what you like to write and how to make your writing better.

4. Do something different. - This year I went to my first writers conference. It was a great experience. Many years ago I would have talked myself out of it. But I didn`t. I believed in my talent and knew I was on the right path to my destiny.

Whether you`re writing to relieve stress or starting a career. Take my advice and learn as much as possible about the industry you desire to be apart of. Your success depends on how much you`re willing to go to make your dreams your reality. My name is Minolta C. White and I am a writer.