Wednesday, November 27, 2013

One on One with Author Dominique Watson of Concealed Betrayal

 

Calvin and Tina Mitchell are the typical African American family. Married young with several children. Tina a stay at home mom and Calvin a hard working business man. Life is perfect, until Calvin’s mother dies and he doesn’t know how to cope and his wife doesn’t know how to support him. Calvin spends his days in a deep state of depression leaving Tina to take care of their children alone. She’s no longer getting the love, affection and support she needed and turns her back on her husband and his needs. With the loss of Calvin’s mother cutting him so deep, the devil has found his entrance and sets in motion….betrayal. Tina finds herself getting all of what she’s been missing from a dangerous source. Her mother can’t seem to get through to her and the aching pain she has in her heart from her marriage causes her to make the wrong decisions. Calvin and Tina’s marriage and family is turning upside down right before their eyes. Can they turn on the love that once was or will explosives set before them destroy their happy home.
 
 
 
Dominique Watson is a writer and published author. She began writing poetry and short stories at a young age. Dominique has published six books in the genres of Poetry, Inspiration and Christian Fiction. Dominique has eight titles under her belt as an author including her most popular series “Too Much Untold” and “Truthfully Untold” “Concealed Betrayal” is Dominique’s latest book. Dominique was also the owner and creator of the award winning magazine “From A Writer’s POV”, a literary magazine geared to support authors and writers. She’s also a Literary Mentor and Consultant for Authors & Writers at Literary Career Moves. www.literarycareermoves.com She can be found daily at The POV Lounge giving advice and tips on the literary field http://thepovlounge.wordpress.com For more about Dominique, check her out at: www.author-dominiquelwatson.com 

How did you start out your writing career?

Well, I simply had a book I wanted to write. I wrote it, researched publishing companies and then got it published. Once the book was written it was then that I knew I wanted to be a published author.

What did you learn while writing this book?

While writing Concealed Betrayal, I’ve learned about doing everything myself and not wanting to be tide down to any company. I’ve become an entrepreneur and I am making things happen on my own.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

 I wanted my readers to saw wow! I wanted them to see how deep I can go with my writing and that they didn’t want the book to finish.

What came first with this story, the characters or the plot? Why?

 The plot. I knew I wanted to write a book about marriage and the trials and tribulations that go through marriage. I then worked in my characters and created them based on the struggles in the book.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

  The money I am making. It has really shocked me how much these last two books are selling. Not that I’m complaining, it’s just not something I’ve been seeking in being a published author. I just wanted to see my work in print.

 

What books are on your to read list?

 I am reading “Gone” by James Patterson, “Football Widows” by Pat Tucker, “Trife Life to Lavish 2” by Joy Deja King and a few others. I read about six books at a time.

Has having a writing career always been your dream?

 No it was never a dream. I’ve been writing since I was a little girl but only to get my thoughts out. Never as a career. It wasn’t until eight years ago that I decided to make this my career.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do research. I can’t express how important it is to do your homework on a company or a service you are looking for. I tell my clients that nine times out of ten you can do it yourself. So research before you make any moves.

Don’t accept no. Anything is possible. You have the ability to make anything happen so just because one person told you no doesn’t mean that that is the way it has to be. Never settle!

What is your writing process? How do you feed your writing muse?

Well when an idea comes to me I jot it down in my iPad. When I think the book can really be something, I start working on my outline. I do not write a book without creating an outline. When I get in the writing process, I don’t normally write every day. Honestly, I have two much going on to write every day so this outline allows me to walk away from my book and then come back to it later without missing a beat.

 

Within the next five years what stage do you expect to be in your career?

 I definitely expect to have a few top selling books on Kindle. I want to continue my mentorship with authors and writers through Literary Career Moves and pushing my magazine that launches in January 2014.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

  I love to read and play games on my iPad. I crochet as well and make jewelry but the majority of my time is reading, if I am not writing or working.

 

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I am very active on Facebook and twitter. I like to hear what they have to say about my books. I also keep a blog and communicate with them that way.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

 This is the first chapter from “Caramel Mix” “Caramel Mix” is the sequel to “Concealed Betrayal” “Caramel Mix” is due in stores January 2014.

 

Chapter One: “And you call this healing?”

“The love that I had for this man was unbelievable. I put my love, my heart my everything into him. My life was surrounded by serving him and our children. I traveled around the world for over twenty years with him in his Navy career. I took my kids in and out of schools to be by his side. Long days and nights of him not being home because the navy came first, deployments, IA’s, I did all that and some and didn’t complain. When he was home I cooked all his meals, washed all his clothes. Sat at his bedside when he couldn’t handle having a simple cold. I was there. I’ve always been there yet he left me high and dry when it was supposed to be for better or worse. When it was supposed to be us till death do us part, he left me. He wasn’t happy and couldn’t be married to me anymore. After all I’d done over the years for this man, he left me like that, right after he had a one year affair with another married woman. After all I’ve done this is the thanks I get? I still walk around with thick thighs and big hips from bearing his two children. I still see the stretch marks on my body in places I didn’t even know could stretch because my husband said, “Come on Zora. Just one more child?” I sacrificed and now everyone wants to tell me to just get over it. How can I let go of such hurtful pain? How can God allow me to be put into this situation when I did everything he asked. Why?”

“I can’t do this.” I thought getting up from my kitchen table and walking over to the sink. I poured my cold coffee into the sink and placed the cup into the dishwasher. I walked back over to the table and ripped the page from the notebook, balled it up and put it in the trash. I was too angry to write.

My friend Gail was forcing me to get all my pain and hurt out from my divorce by writing and publishing a book. But every time I sat to write all the anger I had inside of me just came running back and I couldn’t deal with it.  Gail was a published author, also my child hood friend. She’d published four books with Urban Fiction Genre’s. I’d read a few of her books and they were definitely page turners. I had no idea how I was gonna write a book like her. But she felt that since I’d been through so much, writing a book might help me heal.

I was married for over thirty years to my ex husband Vernell. Then one day he decided he didn’t want to be married and wanted a divorce. We have two grown children together, Zoe and Zion (Ricko). Zoe lives in Memphis with her husband and three year old son. Ricko was in college in Florida. So it was just me and Vernell for a few years.  We stopped having sex years before the children moved out. We stopped having romantic dates or doing anything to have a healthy marriage. He moved into the den and spent most of his time in our game room. I continued to be a good wife and serve him as best as I could but obviously that wasn’t enough. He eventually moved out and got a room at a hotel. I figured okay, he just needs some space. He did over twenty years in the military and things were hard for him. I wasn’t the type of wife to be pushy or demand things from him. My daddy always taught me that you have to let a man be a man. You can’t change him but you can pray for him. It’s one of the most powerful tools a woman, married woman has. So I prayed. I prayed hard every day asking God to restore our marriage, to reveal to me what I was doing wrong as a wife. I would fix me. I had no problem fixing myself just tell me what to do. But God never spoke. At least I didn’t hear him. I went to church faithfully every Sunday praying for a revelation. It never happened. Vernell never came home, only when one of the children came home for a visit. Even on the holidays, if neither of the children came home, he didn’t either. It was like his children were his main focus.

I tried to convince Vernell to go to counseling but he didn’t like shrinks and didn’t want anyone in our business. So, I let that go. He finally came to me about a year ago and said he wanted a divorce. He’d already gotten the papers drawn up. All I had to do was sign and it was over. I couldn’t believe it. I never saw it coming. Not to mention, he was having an affair with another married woman at our church. I was so hurt, still hurt to this day.

Vernell and I met when his shipped pulled into Naval Base San Diego in San Diego California. I was vacationing there with a good friend of mine and he was a young sailor hanging out with the guys while visiting the city. We talked and got to know each other. Eventually we found out that we both were from Atlanta Ga. He was busy on deployments. At the time Vernell was in his early twenties so he was busy being underway. So our communication was mostly on the phone and through letters. It became a strong long distance relationship until he came home and proposed. I of course said yes, dropped my career as a wedding planner and followed him around the world. A few years later our first was born in Virginia. Then our son came in Italy.

We had a happy marriage. We faced typical marital problems but nothing out or the norm. The traveling did our family good and the children adjusted to a new place easily. I never did pursue my career as a wedding planner until the end of our marriage. I used most of my time while traveling, taking plenty of pictures, doing things with the family, being dedicated to my children and husband and making our house a home. I had fulfillment in that. I was satisfied.

The last two duty stations Vernell traveled on his own. The children and I came home to Lawrenceville Georgia and found a home. The kids were getting older. Zoe was preparing for college so I wanted to be settled. Frankly I was tired of traveling and wanted a home. Not a house. So Vernell agreed to let us come home for six years and he would travel on his own for the remainder of his time in the Navy. The kids and I would visit him. Sometimes I traveled on my own for a few weeks while the kids stayed with my parents , Vernell’s parents or my sister.  When Vernell finally retired, I figured it would be perfect for us. I figured he’d be tired of traveling so we would spend most of our time at home and enjoying one another. It never happened. He moved out and we got a divorce.

The family took it pretty hard. Just like me they never saw it coming. Zoe is very observant like her Father so she knew something was going on and wasn’t surprised when I called her to tell her me and her father was getting a divorce. My parents being deep Christian people were disappointed. Vernell’s mother and father were disappointed as well. Although they are his adoptive parents, they had a very close relationship with their son and were dumbfounded when they found out we were getting a divorce not to mention Vernell had had an affair. It was a mess.

For months I spent my time in the house, soaking in sad love songs, trying to write this book and trying to find some ways of revenge on Vernell and Tina his mistress. I still listen to sad love songs, still trying to write my book and still looking for revenge on Tina and Vernell. They will have their day. They will.

 

 

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)
 
 
 
 
 

Review 5 out of 5 stars

Concealed Betrayal was gifted to me by the author for an honest review. Calvin and Tina are a flawed couple and like most couples sometimes the cracks in our relationship are bigger than they appear. When life throws the couple an obstacle it's going to take more than a friendly hug to patch over there issues. More often than not the devil is always looking for a way in to destroy the happiness in our lives. Concealed Betrayal is a great cautionary tale of leaning on your vow to love each through thick and thin through hard times in a modern day marriage. Readers will enjoy the crisp and refreshing voices of the characters and Watson's ability to go deeper than the surface of a couples issues. Concealed Betrayal is a great read and readers from all background will enjoy this story.
 

-