Tuesday, June 3, 2014

One on One with Author Tynnetta Henry of A Black Woman's Scorn




  1. What inspired the novel A Black Woman's Scorn? When I first moved to New York. I started staying with my cousins and I seen a lot of things that they went through that helped me develop my 3 main characters Jasmine, Tiffany, and Alicia.

  1.  What is the overall message you wanted the reader to take away from the novel?  I would have to say my overall message would be even though go through situations in your life you can make it. Always remember God will never put more on you than we can bear.  It may seem like things won’t get better but trust me it will.

  1.   As a new author, what is the hardest part about creating a novel that even people from different backgrounds could relate to? Wow! The hardest part I would have to say is creating a storyline that everyone has been through. The words might be different from what they have been through, the pain that they feel and the hurt are the same.

  1. Why was it important for you to share this story with the world? A lot of women are going through the same situations that Jasmine, Alicia, and Tiffany are facing. Having baby fathers that doesn’t do a thing for their children. Even though I don’t have kids I want them to know I understand.

  1. What inspired you to become a writer? Being grounded lol. No, I would say the situations that see people go through. I want them to know someone is listening and is giving the advice in my stories to help them make it.

  1. What would be your best advice to aspiring writers? Never give up on your dreams. I have been told some many times that I wouldn’t make it but by the grace of God and my belief in myself. I have because you can do whatever you put your mind to do. Be determined.

  1. What was the hardest part about telling the story? Finding things to cause your characters to go through like conflict, betrayal, tragedy and etc.

  1. Which authors have inspired you? I would have to say Terry McMillian, Zane, Eric Jerome Dickey.

  1. Authors are readers and readers are authors. Which books are on your shelf to read? Waiting to Exhale, Mine, Life by Leo Sullivan, Love and Betrayal by Coco J, Cocaine Princess by Rio, and more

  1. Just for fun: 
    Paperback or tablet
    Coffee or tea
    Self publishing or traditional - Tablet, Tea, Traditional, and Night Owl

  1. What's the best and worst advice someone has ever given you? Best advice would be by one of my role model Kimberlee Morton which is to follow my dreams no matter what people say because when I make it the top is very lonely. I haven’t had a worst advice yet but who know what the future brings.

  1. What's the biggest lesson you've learned as a new author? Not everyone is going to like your work. (Shiana Jones)

  1. What's next for you in 2014? Worrying on more books, hopefully the start of my foundation, Destiny Henry Foundation, to help young people where I live achieve goal that they never thought that they could.

  1. How can readers contact you? My facebook page @ Destiny Tynnetta Henry
My Twitter page @Tynnetta Henry