Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Author Spotlight: Interview with Author Daniel Black of This Sacred Place

1. Introduce yourself.

My name is Daniel Black or Omotosho Jojomani. I received that name as part of an African-centered community known as Ndugu and Nzinga. It's the most magical, transformative community of people I have ever known. I am also professor of African American Studies at Clark Atlanta University, currently in my 20th year.  I love God, people, and nature. I desire most that people discover why they exist. 

2. What would you like readers to take away from your books?

Well, this is always a tricky question because readers need different things. So perhaps that's the answer--that I hope readers get whatever they need. My only conscious aim is to write stories that reveal the expanse of human possibilities in terms of love, hate, healing, joy, family, etc. I never write with a particular hope concerning readers' responses, but I do conjure characters who, I pray, will usher readers into a more perfect place of living.

3. What did you learn about yourself in terms of your strong points and weak points while writing your books? 

I think my strength is character development. I love people so intensely that I study them and watch them and ponder their lives. That translates into my writing. I think my weakness, on the other hand, is exact voice in dialogue. I'm working very hard to make sure my character's voices are absolutely distinguishable. 

4.What was your greatest roadblock, and how did you overcome it? 

My greatest roadblock, I think, was simply believing I could sustain a story across 300 pages!! It appears daunting, at first. Then, one page at a time, it happens.

5.Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer? 

Do: discipline yourself to write EVERY DAY. Don't entertain excuses or exceptions.  Don't: convince yourself that you can't do it. If anyone can, why can't you?

6. What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand? 

I wish non-writers would understand that what takes a writer YEARS to construct can be read in a day. So give writers grace time as they prepare the next manuscript! :)

7. What was the last book to keep you up at night reading it?

Freeman by Leonard Pitts, Jr. It's a fascinating story beautifully told. The man can write!
8. What do you do to make time for yourself?

I fish. That's my favorite hobby.

9. How can readers get in contact with you?

I can be contacted at www.danielblack.org. or via my email address which is babaomo@aol.com.

10. Just for fun : 

Night owl  or early bird -Night owl
                          
Coffee or tea -neither. Can't have the caffeine.

 E book or paperback- physical book definitely. I like to hold the pages.

 3 things you can't live without :
1. God  2. a good book  3. my people

11.  Best and worst advice you've ever received:
best: Don't try to write the great American novel. Just write. And if it's great, it will be.      

Worse: Let your must inspire you! This NEVER happens consistently. Discipline is the muse.

12.  What is the one take away message you want readers to take away from your novels?

The only thing I hope for is that people see that ALL of us bear the weight of human frailty and the possibility of divinity.

13. What's next for you?

I have one novel finished and at the publisher. It's titled THE COMING. You're going to love it, I think.  I have a second novel that's almost complete. It should be finished by August. It's titled LISTEN TO THE LAMBS. 

                                                   

                                         About the Author


2507286.jpg (186×280)

Daniel Black is a native of Kansas City, Kansas, yet spent the majority of his childhood years in Blackwell, Arkansas. He is an associate professor at his alma mater, Clark Atlanta University, where he now aims to provide an example to young Americans of the importance of self-knowledge and communal commitment. He is the author of They Tell Me of a Home and The Sacred Place.

71nh6GG3w+L._SL1000_.jpg (681×1000)


peace.jpeg (145×220)


9780312582685.jpg (93×140)


theytellmeofahome.jpg (180×265)