Thursday, July 3, 2014

One on One with Author Michell Newell of Ruby Slippers: Fairy Tales My Mother Told Me. Real Life Truths I Never Told Her

                                   
Ruby Slippers: Fairy Tales My Mother Told Me. Real Life Truths I Never Told Her

516p51RKzkL._AA160_.jpg (160×160)

About the book

Ruby Slippers is a personal journey through painful and sometimes embarrassing moments in my life as I sought to uncover the root to all of the drama and dysfunction I once found myself in. I wrote the book to inspire and encourage young ladies and women who find themselves in abusive cycles that they can bring themselves out of any situation, no matter how bad it is. It's all about determination, and the willingness to take a deep look within and address our own demons. It's also about taking personal responsibility for our own happiness and removing the stain of shame and guilt that taints our self esteem, leaving us to doubt our own worth. 
Ruby Slippers encourages, inspires, and challenges you to find out:
What's your happily ever after?

1. Introduce yourself. My name is Michelle Davis-Newell, author of Ain't Understandin' Mellow and contributing author to the anthology The Shattered Glass Effect. My latest book, which is non-fiction, is Ruby Slippers: Fairy Tales My Mother Told Me, Real Life Truths I Never Told Her.

2. What would you like readers to take away from your book? Each of my books deal with looking at life in a holistic way, and deciding if you want to grow and be better, or be content with where you are. My hope is for the reader to identify with the characters and/or the message, and if applicable, apply the lessons to their own lives.

3. What did you learn about yourself in terms of your strong points and weak points while writing this book? I learned that writing is therapeutic, no matter the form. In terms of strong points, I learned sometimes as writers, we can get caught up in the "words", because they are the vehicle we use to express ourselves. It's okay to say what we have to say in a few words - people will get it! 


4.What was your greatest roadblock, and how did you overcome it? The greatest roadblock was letting go and unleashing what was inside of my head and heart. I have a tendency to hold myself back in all things, and writing is no different. What helped me to overcome this was the words of a dear author friend a few years ago. She wrote, "...Michelle is a great writer, but she holds a lot back..." I think about that every time I begin writing, and it forces me to let go. 


5.Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer? Do write what you know and feel; don't be afraid of criticism, but use it to grow and get better.


6. What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand? Writing is a craft, a talent much like that of singers and actors. It takes a lot to think about something, visualize it perfectly, and then sit down and put those thoughts and images into words that others can read and connect to. It's not easy - we just make it look like it is!


7. What was the last book to keep you up at night reading it? Anybody's Daughter by Pamela Samuels Young and Open Door Marriage by Naleighna Kai.

8. What do you do to make time for yourself? I just make it happen, something I've learned to do over the years. 

9. How can readers get in contact with you? My website is being redone, so for now readers can email me at michelleakamimi@gmail.com, or connect with me via facebook or linkedin. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RubySlippers2013, LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/michelle-davis-newell/2/988/a67


10. What's next for you? I am currently re-writing my first book, Ain't Understandin' Mellow. I'm also writing a drama entitled Haven Hills. In addition to my writing life, I just launched a small nonprofit organization that is dedicated to working with at risk youth. 

                                                 
                                           About the Author



Michelle Davis-Newell is a Chicago native who wrote and published her first book in 2006 and co-authored an anthology shortly after. She also has a passion for film and screenwriting and is the Vice-President of UrbanScope Productions, LLC. She has written several screenplays, including a short film entitled Roses Out Of Concrete. Michelle continues her passion in helping others as the Director of Programs with a not for profit organization in Chicago, Illinois.

Review 5 out of 5 stars

There is nothing more courageous than the power of overcoming obstacles and living to share it. Michelle Newell brings readers into a place of a life of honesty and reliability. Drawing from an authentic and genuine voice the readers finds themselves enraptured in the memoir and the journey. Readers will walk away with a renewed faith and encouragement that they never knew they had. Newell is an inspiration and an author with a powerful poignant voice with the ability to convey honesty and depth in words while pulling at heart strings. I enjoyed this book and I'm confident you will too.