Tuesday, August 12, 2014

One on One with Author E.W. Brooks of The Mafietta Novella Series





 E.W. Brooks

Introduce yourself.
Hi everybody. I’m E.W. Brooks, author of The Mafietta Novella Series. When I am not writing, I love to read, bake, and spend time with friends and family. I am also the founding member of the Campbell Sisterhood, a group that supports and empowers Army Wives.

What would you like readers to take away from your book?
I want readers to enjoy the roller coaster ride that is Clarke’s life. However, while they are reading, I want readers to grasp certain nuggets that help them deal with issues such as domestic violence and overcoming their past,– all while being entertained.

What did you learn about yourself in terms of your strong points and weak points while writing this book? 
I learned that, as I writer, I would have to do things my way. Some authors sit down and write five and six hundred pagers. That isn’t what I wanted to do with Mafietta. At times I was concerned that my novellas wouldn’t be received well, because of it, but then there was this overwhelming feeling that readers would enjoy the quick escape. There was something in me that wouldn’t let me stop. It made me keep going. That was my strongest point. I knew I had something readers would enjoy and that allowed me to get over the moment of doubt.

What was your greatest roadblock, and how did you overcome it? 
My greatest roadblock was not following my own gut. I spent too much time listening to the others tell me the best way to accomplish this dream of mine, but it always seemed to take me away from my original goal. I had to learn how to say, NO, I WANT IT THIS WAY, and then I had to stick to it.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand? 
I wish non-writers would understand the importance of reviews and connecting with the writer. They are sharing their “baby”, so to speak, with the world and they want to know what people think about it. An author wants to know your favorite line or your favorite part.

What was the last book to keep you up at night reading it?
I am reading a lot of indie authors now. I have a new respect for them.
: - ) So, I read a couple books in a week, but the last book to keep me up reading was, Jay-Z’s “Decoded.” I just started it yesterday and I’ll be finishing it up today.

What do you do to make time for yourself?
I turn off all the phones, or at least turn the ringers down, and I listen to music. It’s always been therapeutic for me.

How can readers get in contact with you?

Readers can connect with me via my:

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/EWBrooks
Amazon Author Page http://www.amazon.com/EW-Brooks/e/B00DYSN63S
My website www.Mafietta.com

What's next for you?
Well, we are currently working to bring Mafietta to a screen near you, so stay tuned. In the meantime, check us out on YouTube via Mafietta TV. (https://www.youtube.com/user/TheEWBrooks) – this is the link to Mafietta TV