Tuesday, April 14, 2015

One on One with Bestselling Author Loureva Slade of The Dating Game





1. Introduce yourself.

My name is Loureva Slade. I’m a wife, mother, writer, inspirational speaker, and passionate child of God. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA. and I’m proud to be one of the 17 authors featured in THE DATING GAME.

2. How would you describe the road to publication? It was filled with lots and lots of rejection. But I’m so thankful that Brown Girls Books made my publication dreams a reality. To God be the glory.

3. What inspired your short story in The Dating Game?

Holiday Party is all about full-disclosure in the dating relationship. I dated quite a few people when I was on the dating scene. After a while, I got tired of telling people my whole life’s story one day and not talking to them anymore a few months later. Why should I reveal everything about myself to a person whose name I might not remember years down the line? That question led me to write Holiday Party. I wanted to explore, just a little, what happens when one person in a dating relationship leaves out a very important detail about his/her past that could potentially affect his future in a not-so-positive way. 

4. Your best advice on dating in the 21st century? Love yourself. Never settle. Make sure you are tuned-in to what God has for you. You can’t go wrong when you follow His lead.

5. In five words describe your dating experience. That’s a hard one. How about: “I met lots of frogs.” 

6. As an author, do you believe in happily ever after? 
I am an extreme optimist…so I sure do believe in happily ever after.

7. How did you begin writing? Did you intend to become an author, or do you have a specific reason for writing your book(s)? I dreamed of becoming a published author as a young child. I started writing stories for pleasure when I was a seven or eight. When I was at home and I had free time I would write stories. I look back on some of my stories now and smile because they were so horrible, but I was serious. I would draw pictures, staple pages together, and make books. 
I majored in Creative Writing in college…life did a few twists and turns. I stopped writing for a while, but thankfully I’m doing the thing I love once again…and it feels great! 

8. Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured? I prefer writing when the kids are either in school or asleep. That means I’m usually able to write each day before 2p or at night after 8p.

9. Favorite quote that defines who you are as a writer.“My ability to write is God’s gift to me. What I do with my writing is my gift back to Him.” I’m using my gift wisely and I’m so excited to see what the future holds.

10. What projects are you currently working on? I would love to write for television. I just finished writing a sitcom pilot and I will start work on a spec script soon. I also have another short story called “The Visionary” featured in an anthology 
called LOVE.HOPE.FAITH. (To order a copy, visit my website: LourevaSlade.com)

11. What was the best piece of “writing advice” that you’ve ever been given? Best Selling Authors Victoria Christopher Murray and Vanessa Miller both stressed the importance of writing every single day. Even if you only write a few words each day, it is imperative that you write constantly if you desire success as a writer.

12. Favorite writer and book that has mostly influenced your life. There are so many. I love THE ALCHEMIST, by Paulo Coelho, THE GREATEST SALESMAN IN THE WORLD, by Og Mandino, and all of Vanessa Miller’s Christian Fiction.

13. Just for fun: Night owl or early bird? Coffee or tea? E-books or paperbacks? Crowded room or peace and quiet to write? I’m an early bird. I love coffee. Paperbacks all day! Peace and quiet.

Displaying LourevaSlade1.jpgDisplaying final.png



Connect with Me

Instagram: Loureva1

Twitter: @Loureva

Facebook: Loureva Watson-Slade

Website: LourevaSlade.com