Friday, December 30, 2016

How To Get Out Of Your Own Way In 2017

How To Get Out Of Your Own Way In 2017




          New Year, New You, right? Not so fast. Before you commit to the whimsical “I have to rearrange my entire life” at midnight uphill battle. Pump your breaks and breathe.  Here’s the great thing about a new year approaching, you get a fresh start. Ya! You get chance to start a new with a fresh perspective in an entirely new year. How exciting to start a new year with a fresh mindset and positive attitude. I’m here to tell you that committing to a resolution and falling short a few days later is out the window. That’s right. We’re committing to getting out of our own way in 2017 and I’m going to tell you how.
 One of the questions that I ask myself is, Are you ready for what happens next? Sometimes I am and sometimes I'm not. But, does that stop me from pursuing my goals or trying something new? No. Failure is and rejection are real as the birds and the trees. But, for every failure and rejection I have ever experienced in my lifetime it has prepared me for the next best thing. Life pushes you forward whether you are ready or not. The option of going backwards or remaining comfortable leaves you stagnant and in an unfamiliar territory. For every time I came up against opposition I almost allowed the fear of not winning, rejection, or defeat consume. Whether in a job, relationship, friendship, or business I used to talk myself out of it. Why? Because I didn't see the worth within my potential, the effectiveness discomfort, or the endless possibilities change presents in new opportunities. I lived and thrived in fear. Fear ruled my life in every aspect possible. Before I realized it, I was going in a circle. I was miserable on the inside and my actions reflected the weight of the pain I lived with each day. For me that all changed when I committed to getting out of my own way. A lot of people may wonder what exactly does getting out of your own way mean. It means not being afraid of the next level of your life, embracing change, and conquering the impossible. All if which begins with you and your mindset. Here are a few tips to help you begin your journey of loving you and conquering your dreams.
1.)  Commit to one positive change in your life. Whether that positive change means giving a stranger a compliment or leaving a jar of positive reminders about your life. Start small in the right direction.
2.) Forgive your past. We’re no longer mulling over that relationship that didn’t work in 2016 or that promotion that you thought you deserved but didn’t get. We’re packing light for 2017. That means we’re giving ourselves permission to start over and forgiving ourselves for the things that didn’t work out the way we intended.
3.)  Make a To Do List. There’s a list for household chores, errands to run, bills to be paid, and anniversaries and birthday coming up on the calendar. Well, before you hit that procrastinator button. Make a list of things that you always wanted to do but never made time for in your schedule. Visit your local library for research. Start a local book club in your neighborhood. Commit to adding happiness to your to do list.
4.) No and Maybe are not an option. One of the most influential books I read in 2016 was The Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes. Rhimes speaks honestly and candidly about her battle with saying no for the wrong reasons like fear and defeat. After committing to saying yes to the things that not only scared her, the doors of life continued to open. That can be you. No and maybe are not an option in 2017, say yes even if your gut instinct says no.
5.)  The universe will meet you halfway. More often than not people whom make new years resolutions fall off the wagon before February. The notion of who cares and maybe next year will be better tends to settle in subconsciously. I’m a firm believer that if you take two steps forward in the right direction the universe will push you three steps forward. Everything happens in alignment with intention and timing. Own this new year momentum and re position yourself for greater things to happen in your life. Whether you intend to work extra hours at work to help. That small act may position you for a promotion in the future.

We all have the willpower to manifest our hopes and dreams into a reality. It just takes the right mindset, accountability, focus, and discipline to make those things happen. Most people blame their shortcomings on time and life demands. Sure, life demands present their own challenges that lead us on a detour at times. It doesn’t matter how many times life throws us a curve ball. It’s important to remember three things: you’re either headed towards a storm, coming out of a storm, or in a storm. For every storm, there is a lesson that life teaches us. If we’re standing, we have an opportunity to make the next day better than the last. Remember, you have all the tools you need to take you to where you want to go in this life.  Don’t let 2017 slip through your fingers without conquering a fear or living out a dream.

#NewYearsResolution # 2017 #2016 #Goals #dreams #newyearseve #resolutions